Frontrunners of circular economy
01 – What is it
The Kirkkokallio ecopark, located in Honkajoki, Finland, comprises seven different actors that operate in symbiosis with each other. It is a form of circular economy that is about recycling natural resources and energy, using them in a more sustainable way, as well as reducing the amount of waste. With a seamless cooperation, it is possible to keep the materials circulating.
02 – How it works
The companies in Kirkkokallio produce bioenergy together. It is produced from local biodegradable waste at Kirkkokallio and is fully renewable and environmentally friendly fuel that can reduce full-lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions by up to 90% compared to fossil fuels. Gasum feeds the biogas it produces into the Vatajankoski power plant, where the gas is transformed into electricity, steam and heat. Wind power is also used in the area to produce electricity. The produced electricity, steam, and heat are distributed from Vatajankoski power plant to the other companies in the area.
At the factory of Honkajoki Ltd, meat industry by-products, i.e. slaughterhouse waste, are processed into sterile protein nutrients, bone meal, fertilisers, animal feed, and fat. Landeli Group manufactures meat products for consumers. Honkajoki’s condensation heat is used to heat the facilities where KKK-Vihannes and Honkatarhat grow lettuce, herbs, and cucumbers. The wastewater produced by Landeli Group’s plant is processed at Honkajoki Ltd’s wastewater treatment plant, and its biowaste is taken to Gasum Oy to close the circle.
03 – How it can be used
Circular economy is about recycling natural resources and using them in a more sustainable way, as well as reducing the amount of waste. In circular economy, one company’s waste is another’s treasure. In fact, ‘waste’ is a wrong word to be used, because the goal is not to produce any waste. There are ways to reuse nearly every type of raw material, as long as there is the will and enthusiasm to look for them.
Kirkkokallio Ecopark in a Nutshell
- Kirkkokallio Ecopark is located in Honkajoki, Finland. The area is 1,5 square kilometers in size.
- It is a unique entity circular economy that consists of seven different actors that operate in symbiosis with each other.
- The pioneer companies operating in the area: Vatajankoski Ltd, Honkajoki Ltd, KKK-Vihannes Ltd, Lihajaloste Korpela Ltd, Honkatarhat Ltd, Hevikolmio Ltd, Honkajoen tuulipuisto and Gasum Ltd.
- 100 million euros have been invested in Kirkkokallio in recent years, which is as much as the total turnover of the companies located in the area.
- Employs a total of 200 people.